Sutton Beauty & Heritage Update History 2012 - 2014

This website is updated almost daily with minor updates. Significant site updates
and any corrections of errors made since January 2012 are detailed below.
5th January 2015 - Updated Downloads page with Sutton Manor Magazines No. 5 and No. 9 from February and December 1990. These four-page in-house publications were distributed just months before the colliery closed. In one of them the manager K.A. Leech reports record breaking production figures.
30th December 2014 - Updated article on locomotive maker Edward Borrows with much new information on John Cross & Co. who also made locos in St.Helens Junction between 1864 and 1869 and briefly employed Borrows. Two photographs have also been added of loco Cross no.12, which when working in Portugal was re-named Estremoz. Thanks to David Love for his assistance. This article and ones on 'Iron Works & Engineering' and 'Other Sutton Works' have been transferred to Industry in Sutton Part 2, as part 1 was getting very long. The existing part 2 page on 'The Story of Sutton Mill' has been transferred to a new part 3 page.
23rd December 2014 - The navigation page menu for phone and small tablet users has been improved. Instead of the 'drop-down' menu used on larger tablet and desktop computers, there is now an ‘accordion' style of navigation menu. After tapping on the 'Sutton Beauty & Heritage Menu' link, visitors are presented with a navigation menu and can tap arrows on the right to visit other pages. Other minor improvements have been made and there are more to come. (Nb. I am aware of an issue with the drop-down menu navigation with some Android tablets, which prevents visitors from selecting pages from the drop-down menu. A solution is currently being sought. You can also visit the Site Map page to view a complete list of the 131 pages on the website complete with summaries and direct links.)
12th December 2014 - Launched revamped Sutton Beauty & Heritage website which has taken six months to develop and has the following main features: • Images on main pages now 25% wider (10-15% on phones / tablets); • Responsive design so the site displays better on smaller screens; • Enlarged text to improve legibility; • ‘Back to top of page’ arrow displays after scrolling part way down each page; • ‘Clog Clatters’ page renamed ‘Downloads’ and now includes many downloadable documents; • Redundant blog removed; • Many other minor improvements.
As a consequence of building the new site there have been few updates over the last 6 months. Normal service will now be renewed!
10th July 2014 - Updated The Making of Dream page with 3 new videos a) an interview with the ex-miners’ lead spokesman Gary Conley; b) ‘Dream Real Topping Out', the installation of the sculpture in Sutton Manor in 2009; c) ‘Jame Plensa Artist in Conversation’ at Shining Lights Centre, Sutton Manor. Plus a photo of Year 9 of St Peter’s Primary School, Newton-le-Willows at Dream as part of their inter-generational project. Plus a second picture of Plensa’s Chicago sculpture, ‘Looking Into My Dreams, Awilda'.
9th June 2014 - Updated Sutton at War Part 1 with a new article on Paratrooper Private John Moran who participated in three of the most well-known and dangerous airborne operations of World War 2 – the D-Day landings in Normandy, the so-called 'Bridge Too Far' campaign at Arnhem and the massive Rhine Crossing operation in 1945. Also updated the Sutton Manor Colliery Part 2 page with information on the trials of the Anderson Strathclyde RH22 high pressure water assisted roadheader machine, which was used underground at the colliery between 1983-4. The update includes two photos.
23rd May 2014 - Updated Sutton Sport article on the history of Sutton Cricket Club which has been rewritten and expanded and three new photographs added. Two of the pictures are team photos from the 1950s. These have been contributed by Geoff Chisnall, whose family were heavily involved with the club. Also updated the Sutton Streets and Placenames page with a short article on the derivation of Grimshaw Street in Sutton Leach.
17th May 2014 - Updated Religion in Sutton Part 2 article on the history of St. Annes RC Church, Monastery and Convent has been extensively updated with much new information. The article is now 3700 words long and 16 new images have also been added.
11th May 2014 - Updated Memories of Sutton Part 6 article by Dave Latham, 'Life in the Old Convent Part 1', with four images. Three concern birthday cards, plus a 19th century illustration of the convent.
25th April 2014 - Added new Sutton Poetry page with 13 poems mainly written about Sutton from a number of authors including Brian Salkeld and Frank Bamber, some composed in Lancashire dialect. Also updated the Memories of Sutton Part 9 comprehensive article 'Memories of Sutton Leach' by Harry Hickson with a new section about Gil Bond of Abbotsfield House, who was an illegal bookmaker and bodybuilder. Three bodybuilding photographs of Gil have been added.
19th April 2014 - Updated the Sutton Halls & Houses page with a new article on Mill House in Mill Brow. This was almost certainly the millers house and originally inhabited by the Lamb family, who ran the Sutton water & steam mills. Mill House was also the home of renowned tent and marquee maker William J. Cope. The article includes a description of Copes life and five photographs, one of which is a remarkable diamond wedding picture taken in front of Mill House in 1929 with a link to a larger version. Thanks to Geoff Chisnall, Harry Hickson and Lily Coffey for their assistance with this article.
7th April 2014 - Updated the Clock Face Colliery page with much information and two photographs (contributed by Terry Callaghan) concerning the work of the pre-WW1 Colliery Rescue Team. A description has also been added of the shocking death by decapitation of pit sinker George Macintosh in 1906. Also added are images of one of the earliest colliery tallies, plus a Clock Face Colliery Carnival certificate from 1932. The Clock Face Colliery page is co-written with Harry Hickson. Also updated the Bold Colliery Part 2 page with a photograph from 1987 of a headgear being demolished, plus a picture of the colliery loco shed taken in 1977.
27th March 2014 - Updated the Can You Help? page with a request by Tom Williams for information on two photos. One is an undated picture from around 1910 which shows his grandfather, also called Tom Williams, apparently celebrating with friends, possibly at a wedding. The second picture is believed to have been taken in the Sutton Conservative Club during the 1950s, at what appears to be a festive occasion. Also Harry Hickson has provided a detailed explanation of the questions raised in the Can You Help? page's introduction concerning the Sutton Loyalty League. Also updated the Leisure and Entertainment page's 'Enjoying the Parks of Sutton' section with more details on the history of Sutton Park. Three photographs have been added including an aerial view from the 1920s.
19th March 2014 - Updated the Celebrations! page with 5 new photographs and descriptions. Three photos have been contributed by Ken Morgan and feature a Sutton Parish Walking Day in Sherdley Park c.1952, the Blinkhorn Parish Rooms '8.15 Club' celebrating after a panto performance c.1953, plus a second Powell Street VE Day party photo. Two other pictures contributed by Terry Callaghan show the Clock Face Methodist Church's Sunday School outings to Pex Hill in Widnes. These were both taken in Clock Face Road around 1911. Also updated the Education in Sutton page's St.Anne's RC School section with two images: a) Ticket for a bowling handicap at the Bull & Dog in 1932 in aid of St.Anne's, contributed by Jim Lamb; b) Class photo c.1957-60 contributed by Julia Barker. Also added to the 'Sutton Nash in the 20th Century' section a class photograph from the 1930s contributed by Alan Tucker.
17th March 2014 - A number of corrections, amendments and clarifications have been made over the past two weeks. These include correcting the location of Borrows's second Providence Locomotive Foundry to Station Road. A Cricket Club photo showing tennis players in the Sutton Sport page had incorrect identification of the men. The Crane Avenue photo in the Sutton Streets page required significant clarification. A number of additions and corrections have been made to photos in Memories of Sutton Parts 9 and 10. The reference to Lea Green Station being originally Kendrick Cross Station has been removed from the Transport Timeline, as it is thought to have been Rainhill station. The introduction to the Lea Green Colliery page has been rewritten as it was misleading. A photograph in the Sutton Manor Colliery Photo Albums was labelled a 'Dosco tunnelling machine' when it is in fact an RH22 used to drive through sandstone. Also the information that the buildings at Sutton Oak Chemical Defence Research Establishment (Magnum) were demolished during the 1950s has proven to be incorrect. Some buildings were, but others were used for other purposes - including civil defence - until the 1970s. Thanks to Harry Hickson for most of the corrections and also Gordon Crosby and Janet Hawksworth.
16th March 2014 - Updated Memories of Sutton Part 19 with with 4 articles: a) 'My Early Days in Sutton' by Ken Morgan in which Ken describes Sutton Nash teacher Jimmy Webster, his mother's shop in Station Road and the Sutton 'Bug' cinema. b) 'Memories of Davies's Dairy' by Brenda Macdonald in which Brenda describes her mother's recollections from the 1920s of the Edgeworth Street dairy owned by John Davies. c) 'Memories of Davies's Dairy' by Tom Williams in which Tom remembers the dairy and family, especially their shop run by his daughter Sarah. He also describes how his father delivered milk using Mr. Davies's horse and cart and relates an incident from around 1916 when the horse took fright and galloped off, spilling all the milk churns. d) 'My Family at Ravenhead Glass Works' by Gill Chesney-Green. Gill discusses her research into her ancestors, many of whom worked at the glassworks, and their links to the Salvation Army.
24th February 2014 - Updated Sutton Manor Woodland page with details and six photographs of the replanting of St.Matthew's school garden at Sutton Manor prior to the school's closure. Plus the recent addition of the lintel stone and arch that used to be at the Thatto Heath school's entrance. Also updated the Pudding Bag page with a sketch of Railway Terrace in 'Pudding Bag' made by Carol Meredith (née Sneyd) about 1971, just before its demolition. Carol later learnt that she had inadvertently sketched the house where her grandfather was born.
23rd February 2014 - Added new page Memories of Sutton Part 19 with two articles: 'Head Cook and Bottlewasher: Growing Up in Post War St Helens' - the Sutton extracts from the new book by Alan Tucker - and 'My Sutton Nash Memories' by Diane Heaton (née Morris).
16th February 2014 - Updated Religion in Sutton Part 3 page with a description and three photographs of the Clock Face Methodist Church in Clock Face Road. Two of the pictures from 1906 have been contributed by Terry Callaghan. Also expanded the existing information on the Peasley Cross Congregational Church and added 5 photographs. These have been contributed by Cynthia Taylor, the daughter of former minister Rev. West. Also updated the Clock Face Colliery page with an image of the memorial plaque to the Clock Face miners who were either killed or honoured during World War 1 (contributed by Ste M). Also added a rare underground photograph, which has been contributed by Terry Callaghan.
11th February 2014 - Updated: Sutton Crime Part 2 page with a new article entitled 'The Story of Not-So Stuffy Sutton Judge Sir Bernard Caulfield (1914  1994)'. He is mainly remembered for referring to the "elegance" and "fragrance" of Mary Archer in her husband's libel case of 1987. Caulfield was Sutton born, bred and buried and served as President of the Sutton Historic Society. History has not treated him kindly, despite a distinguished career as a high court judge for over 20 years.
5th February 2014 - Updated: How Sutton's Changed page with a new article on Lea Green. The piece describes how it has evolved from a mining and farming district to a centre of private enterprise and residential development. The article of almost 1000 words is illustrated by seven images.
31st January 2014 - Updated these Photo Albums: St.Nicholas Church, Brickfields, Griffin Wood, Sutton Brook and Sutton Park. These have been replaced by new 'responsive' photo-albums.
30th January 2014 - Updated these Photo Albums: Dream, Clock Face Country Park, Sutton Bridges and Sutton Churches. These have been replaced by new 'responsive' photo-albums.
29th January 2014 - Updated these Photo Albums: Sherdley Park, Sutton Mill Dam, Sutton Manor Woodland and Various Pictures. These have been replaced by new 'responsive' photo-albums which scale down to the size of the device used to view the pictures. So very large photos on a desktop PC, small photos on a mobile. There are many new images contained within the albums.
4th January 2014 - Updated Memories of Sutton Part 18 with a new article 'The Day I Visited Lea Green Colliery' by Phil Morris. Phil describes the day in 1954 when his father Cliff - a deputy at Lea Green Colliery - took his 5-year-old son to his workplace and also discusses a visit to a machinery exhibition that was staged at the NCB offices in Elton Head Road. Also updated the Education in Sutton page with two class photographs of Sutton National School from 1895/6. One picture features 44 pupils and a teacher from the boys' school and the second photo shows 41 pupils and 2 teachers from the infants' school. The pictures have been contributed by Frank Parry, whose Uncle David is on the boys' school photo.
21st December 2013 - Updated the Sutton Celebrations! page with two photographs of a Peasley Cross Congregational Church walking day. These have been contributed by Cynthia Powell, whose father Rev. William West was the church minister from 1953 to 59. Also added a Sutton Manor Colliery May Queen parade photo which was taken c.1961 and contributed by Mel Moran.
6th November 2013 - Updated Home Page with a new 'The Skies of Sutton' slideshow with 17 photographs. Also updated the Sherdley Park page with a new sound recording called 'The Sounds of Pets Corner at Dawn', featuring cocks crowing and the sounds of ducks, geese and other wildfowl. Also the 'Portrait Bench' slideshow - featuring silhouettes of the late Steve Prescott, Johnny Vegas and an anonymous glass blower - has been transferred from the home page to the Sherdley Park page.
2nd November 2013 - Added a Sutton Nurses Manchester Blitz Newspaper Transcription of two St. Helens Newspaper articles on the deaths of the three Sutton nurses at Salford Royal Hospital in June 1941. 18-years-old Helen Sheridan from Belvedere Avenue, plus Margaret Lowery and Rose Moffatt, both 19 of Reginald Road, lost their lives in the Manchester blitz and are buried in a single grave at St.Anne's.
17th October 2013 - Updated Sutton Manor Colliery Part 2 page with three new photographs that were taken in the colliery's lamp room and supplied by Alf Houghton. Two pictures from 1981 feature the team who were charged with distributing and maintaining the lamps. The third photograph c.1975 shows NUM President Joe Gormley on a visit to the colliery. Also added is a description of how after the collierys closure in 1991, the shafts were filled with stone and concrete. Thanks to John Melling and Mel Moran for their contributions. Also updated the Memories of Sutton Part 18 page with a new article by David Case, Grandad as a Sutton Lad. David discusses various aspects of his childhood, including his miner father, acetylene-powered bike lamps, Childrens Hour, trams and trolley buses.
5th October 2013 - Updated the Bold Power Station page with three photographs that have been contributed by Gareth Owen who spent a few months training at Bold in 1966 and had the pictures taken as souvenirs. In the photos Gareth is pictured in the turbine hall and control room. Also updated the Sutton Celebrations! page with a photograph in Robins Lane of a walking day contributed by Tom Williams, who believes it was taken by his uncle of the same name around 1954.
21st September 2013 - Added 3 new pages: From Robins Lane to Sutton Academy Part 3. This is the third of a 5-part history of Robins Lane Secondary Modern and Sutton High, which also includes the infants and junior schools. Part 3 covers the period from 1980 to 1989 and is illustrated by 16 photographs. The page includes descriptions of the school nature reserve, protracted staff dispute with the headmaster, a student Town Hall protest, threat to axe the school's sixth form and a murder. Also added From Robins Lane to Sutton Academy Part 4. This is the fourth of a 5-part history of Robins Lane Secondary Modern and Sutton High, which also includes the infants and junior schools. Part 4 covers the period from 1990 to 1999 and is illustrated by 14 photographs. The page includes descriptions of a new arts centre, a terrible fire and the closure of the Robins Lane secondary site. Plus great academic success, along with an extension of the schools charity and community work. Also added From Robins Lane to Sutton Academy Part 5. This is the fifth of a 5-part history of Robins Lane Secondary Modern and Sutton High, which also includes the infants and junior schools. Part 5 covers the period from 2000 to 2013 and is illustrated by 13 photographs. The page includes two name changes for the secondary school, several changes of head, a Notice to Improve, diamond jubilee party, centenary exhibition and an £8 million investment in a fabulous new building.
20th September 2013 - Added 2 new pages: From Robins Lane to Sutton Academy Part 1. This is the first of a 5-part history of Robins Lane Secondary Modern and Sutton High, which also includes the infants and junior schools. Part 1 covers the period from 1909 to 1969 and is illustrated by 17 photographs. The page includes Doris Gee's plays, hobbies days, success in the St.Helens Inter-Schools Athletics competition and other sports, awarding of wrist watches for good attendances and the creation of a single mixed school. Also added From Robins Lane to Sutton Academy Part 2. This is the second of a 5-part history of Robins Lane Secondary Modern and Sutton High, which also includes the infants and junior schools. Part 2 covers the period from 1970 to 1979 and is illustrated by 20 photographs. The page includes sporting and dramatic successes and a new head for the secondary school. Plus a sports centre, talking newspaper, annexe in Elton Head Road and a change of name.
21st August 2013 - Updated Sutton Manor Colliery Part 2 page with a picture of Gilford, the lamp room dog with his pitmen pals from 1988. Also added a photo of the Sutton Manor Colliery award-winning firemen, along with details and identification. Also updated the Griffin Wood page with an image depicting the layout of the site. Also added further details of its history and development by the Mersey Forest and Friends of Griffin Wood group.
15th August 2013 - Added new page on the history of Bold Power Station which also discusses the process of generating electricity and includes 15 images. Some of the information and a few of the pictures were originally on the Bold Colliery Part 2 page. These have been removed and considerably expanded. Thanks to Peter Jenner, former Control Engineer and Station Efficiency Engineer at Bold Power Station, for his assistance.
10th August 2013 - Updated Sutton Shops & Businesses page with new section: 'Memories of Old Sutton Shops'. This features the recollections of Jim Finney and Frank Bamber on shops in Sutton Road and Edgeworth Street, respectively. Also added adverts for Clock Face Crisps and L. Roberts to the 'Sutton Shops Advertisements' section. Also updated the How Sutton's Changed page with an image of the 'I'm For Wildlife' mascot emblem used by the Friends of Sutton Mill Dam Action Group during the 1980s. This was created by 4-years-old Alison McDonald of Willow Tree Primary School, who won a competition that was held amongst local schools. Also added a photo of Professor Bradshaw of the Groundwork Trust at the Mill Dam presenting children with nature packs.
19th July 2013 - Updated Bold Colliery Part 1 page with a photograph of the new no. 2 headgear. The picture was taken shortly after it had been installed in 1953 as part of a £5.4 million investment in the pit. Also updated Clock Face Country Park / Maypole Wood page with a photograph and details of a new raised walkway that connects the wood with the country park. The work was undertaken by 15 members of The Conservation Volunteers (TCV) who worked with the Forestry Commission.
9th July 2013 - Updated Sutton Shops & Businesses page with a new article titled 'Sutton's Post Offices & Postal Service'. The piece discusses the three post offices, pioneering postman William Woodstock and two letter carriers who found themselves in court for theft. Images of Sutton Oak franks on a stamp and postcard, illustrate the article. Also updated Making of Dream page with a photograph of Gary Conley with boxer Martin Murray at the Dance for a Dream zumbathon. This took place at Dream in Sutton Manor on July 6th and the ladies danced for four hours in temperatures reaching 27 degrees, raising over £4000 for the Honeyrose Foundation charity.
1st July 2013 - Updated Sutton Manor Colliery Part 1 page with a photograph of the Colliery Institute Band taken around 1930 and contributed by Colin Atkinson. A link to a high-resolution version is also provided. Also updated History of Religion Part 1 article 'Sutton Church of England Parish Churches' with a photograph of All Saints Church Choir taken about 1973 and contributed by Julie Bligh. A link to a high-resolution version is also provided.
20th June 2013 - Removed photograph of young Billy Beech of Sutton Manor from the Boxers and Wrestlers page. The picture turns out to be of Billy's uncle of the same name who lived in Wigan.
16th June 2013 - Added new page on Lea Green Colliery which describes its history from its opening by James Radley in the 1870s until its closure in 1964. The page documents the many deaths of men and boys as young as thirteen, who worked at the colliery's three pits and includes 14 photographs. Some of the information and a few photos have been transferred from the Mining in Sutton page.
9th June 2013 - Updated Clock Face Country Park / Maypole Wood page with more details of the Country Park fishing pond, wildflowers and tree species, plus information on a new birdbox in Maypole Wood. Also added four photographs including pictures of the pond and birdbox. Also updated the Sutton Streets page by adding five new entries to the 'Sutton Street Names in Brief' section which explain the derivations of Gartons Lane, Lindsay Street, Neills Road, Tunstalls Way and Willow Tree Avenue. Also fixed an issue with broken links to many pdf documents caused by a software upgrade.
28th May 2013 - Updated Sutton Pubs Part 1 page with a picture of the Coppersmiths pub in Watery Lane taken about 1984/5 and contributed by Dave Latham. Also added an undated group photograph taken outside the Junction Inn, contributed by Julie Bligh. Also updated the Sutton at War Part 3 - Poison Gas Works page with an undated photo of the chemical defence research establishment which has been contributed by the Rhydymwyn Valley History Society.
26th May 2013 - Updated Bold Colliery Part 2 page with much new information, extensively revising the steam locos section, especially on the work of Surface Superintendent Harry Simmons. Thanks to Steven Oakden for his assistance. Two photos have been added, one of locomotive Bold, contributed by Steven, plus one of loco Whiston, contributed by Neil Selfridge. Also updated the Sherdley Park page with The Sounds of Sherdley Park Lake audio clip. Lasting 6 minutes 35 seconds, it features the screams of a pair of Canada geese as they take off from the lake and fly towards Elton Head Road. The clip also features the sounds of moorhens, ducks chasing one another in the water and relaxing birdsong recorded from the waters edge and within the woodland.
9th May 2013 - Updated Sutton Celebrations! page with a photograph of a Sutton Manor walking day from the late 1920s / early '30s. The picture has been contributed by Tommy, grandson of Sutton Manor wrestler Billy 'Ted' Beech. Also updated the Sutton Pubs Part 2 page with both sides of a postcard - featuring actress Zena Dare on the cover - that was posted in 1906 to a Miss Chenney at the Plough Inn in Hoghton Road. Also added the pub sign of the Wheatsheaf.
28th April 2013 - Updated Sutton Streets page with a new section, 'Sutton Street Names in Brief'. The derivation of the names of 10 streets are explained within a few lines and illustrated by 7 images. Also updated the Boxers & Wrestlers page with a photo of Ike Beech, plus a picture of his son Billy Beech, both wrestlers from Sutton Manor. Thanks to Billys grandson Tommy for contributing the images.
16th April 2013 - Updated Can You Help? page with a request by Julie Bligh for assistance with her research on the Fairhurst family. Julies great-grandfather was Joseph Fairhurst who married Sarah Shaw in 1896 and lived at 31 Blinkhorns Row in Sutton. Of the two photographs that illustrate the article, one is a picture of the wedding of Annie Burkhill and Thomas Fairhurst, Julies Nan and Grandad. Thomas was born at 77 Waterdale Crescent in Sutton and after marriage, the couple lived at 123 Herbert Street. Also updated Sutton Celebrations! page with three photos of an Independent Methodist Church walking day from c.1965 contributed by Julie Bligh.
13th April 2013 - Updated Michael Hughes page with a photograph of a duck farm taken by Edith Hughes which was published in the Tatler magazine in 1905. Also updated Religion in Sutton Part 3 page with a photograph of a St.Helens Junction Railway Mission cup and saucer.
11th April 2013 - Updated Clock Face Colliery page with three images and new text. The images are a) an undated photograph of the pit's exterior that was probably taken during the 1930s; b) photograph of winder John King; c) image of the latters Mechanics Certificate that was issued under the Mines and Quarries Act. Details of the 1954 act and John Kings career have also been added. Thanks to John James for his assistance. Also updated Sutton Harriers page with three images contributed by Brian Renshall: a) 7 mile road race in 1969 in Gartons Lane; b) John McLoughlin & Brian Renshall in a photo-finish at Ruskin Drive in St.Helens in 1967; c) Widnes Police Sports at Ruskin Drive in 1970.
9th April 2013 - Updated Sutton Pubs Part 2 page with two present-day photographs of the old Wheatsheaf Hotel in Lionel Street by St.Helens Junction station plus an illustration of the Navigation Tavern by Canal Street. Also updated Sutton Celebrations! page with a photo of a Walking Day procession in Junction Lane in Sutton in 1951 or '52 contributed by Brian Renshall. The procession may have been connected with the Independent Methodist Church in Herbert Street. Can anyone confirm this?
6th April 2013 - Updated Religion in Sutton Part 1 page with four new images concerning C. of E. churches. One image is a large interior photograph of All Saints Church c.1910. Also added is part of Richard Bebbington's Sutton Manor Mission church record card. The third image is an extract from the Sutton Parish Church newsletter from February 1938 which details church services and meetings. Also added an exterior St. Nicholas church sign which states Rev. Crane as the then Vicar of Sutton.
3rd April 2013 - Added new page Sutton Tragedy Part 3, which features 21 tragic and unusual deaths in the Sutton & Bold district in brief. These incidents are not described elsewhere within the website and the page follows the same format as Sutton Crime Part 3 which now has exactly 100 mini crime articles of about 4-5 lines in length.
31st March 2013 - Added new page Michael Hughes Quotes, which contains 24 quotations from correspondence between Michael Hughes (or his wife Edith) of Sherdley Hall and their Sherdley Estate Agent Dr. Henry Baker Bates between 1911 and 1918. The Hughes's often wintered abroad and also spent much of their time at their Thornham Hall estate near Eye in Suffolk. The couple regularly sent letters to Dr. Bates at Sutton Hall in which they responded to his questions on estate business, described their lives and shared their strong opinions on events and politics.
24th March 2013 - Updated Memories of Sutton Part 17 page with short article 'The Pudding Bag Blood Splashers!' by Jim Lythgoe. Jim was born in 1949 at 33 Railway Terrace and describes some of his childhood memories, including recollections of his gang, weekend jobs and Bonfire night. Also updated The Making of Dream page with two photographs featuring Gary Conley that have recently been taken for the Arts Council. Also added new 'Sherdley Park Portrait Bench' Slideshow to the Home Page.
18th February 2013 - Added Sutton Pubs Part 2. Four new images of the Mill House have been added, contributed by Sue Swift. This new page contains a directory of Sutton and Bold pubs from M-Z as well as sections on breweries and off-licences. The existing page has been renamed Part 1 and details pubs from A-L. A photo of the Farmers Arms, contributed by Andy Parr, has also been added to this page.
11th February 2013 - Updated Can You Help? page with a request by Fredie Winstanley for information on relatives of the Wilcock family. Fredie has lived in Florida since the 1960s but originally lived in Tennyson Street in Sutton Manor with her parents Harley and Jenny Wilcock.
3rd February 2013 - Updated Industry in Sutton 'Glassmaking' article with two images. One is an illustration of Sherdley Glassworks and the other is an aerial photograph of Ravenhead Glassworks.
31st January 2013 - Updated Sutton Crime Part 2 with a new article, 'The Very Strange Case of Alderman Boscow'. This relates how the man with a tobacconist's and newsagent's shop in Junction Lane and who became Mayor of St.Helens, attempted in 1927 as chairman of the Watch Committee to unseat Chief Constable Arthur Ellerington. Thomas Boscow was also involved in a court case in 1935 in which he was heavily criticised by the judge and from which this article derives its title.
26th January 2013 - Updated Michael Hughes page with a photograph of an unknown sports team at a cup presentation with Michael Hughes III at Sherdley Hall, probably taken in the late 1890s. Picture kindly contributed by Dianne Barton. Also updated Bold Colliery Part 2 page with an advertisement by Thos. W. Ward of Sheffield with two photographs, which was published in the Railway Gazette of July 25th 1958. The sidings' specialists were showing off the narrow gauge trackwork that they had recently installed at Bold Colliery. Also updated Sutton Halls & Houses page with an undated photograph of Bold Old Hall bridge with its twin gate piers and moat.
11th January 2013 - Updated Suttons Lords & Masters page with an article on Arthur Sinclair who lived at Waterdale in Sutton. Sinclair is largely forgotten these days but he became secretary of the St.Helens & Runcorn Gap Railway at just 20 and is credited as a founder of the town of St.Helens.
10th January 2013 - Added new page Memories of Sutton Part 18 with an article by Eileen Spencer called 'Living at Sutton Hall Cottage' with eight photographs. Eileen's grandfather, William Vose Spencer, worked for Michael Hughes at his Sherdley Estate Office from 1912 to 1956 and Eileen was brought up at the adjacent cottage. Among her recollections Eileen tells of a stone font dated 1722 that had originally been at Sherdley Hall and which was given to her family.
8th January 2013 - Updated Sutton Trivia & True Facts! page with new article 'The Great Sutton Storm of 1884'. This documents the effects of a severe gale which struck Sutton one Saturday evening and which damaged countless houses as well as Newton, Keates & Co.'s manure works. It also dispatched a chimney stack into the bedroom of grocer James Smith's house.
2nd January 2013 - Updated the Sherdley Estate page with a new article on Sutton Grange. This was a large house and lodge on the edge of Sherdley Park near Marshalls Cross Road, which over the years had a number of renowned tenants. The article also discusses the present-day mound of earth on the site of the Grange which has been nicknamed 'Choccy Hill' or 'Michael Hughes' Folly'.
1st January 2013 - Added new 'Best of Sutton 2012' Slideshow to the Home Page featuring 22 images (in total) that I took during the last year. Also updated the Industry in Sutton Part 1 page with an 1925 advert for the Ravenhead Sanitary Pipe and Brick Company.
12th December 2012 - Updated Poison Gas Works page with five new images of the Sutton Oak Chemical Defence Research Establishment. These include photos of the plants chimney, an equipment decontamination notice plus pictures of staff members, including one wearing a ventilator. Also added new information sourced from the UK Declaration to the Chemical Weapons Convention.
29th November 2012 - Updated Sutton Crime Part 2 with new article 'Poetic Justice in Sutton Manor' which relates how in 1914 Sutton Manor Colliery miner George Cottle of 30 Tennyson Street attempted to murder his landlady Ellen Fleming and then kill himself. Also corrected two errors in History of Religion Part 3 (Chapels) concerning pastor Billy Hardy. The article had the wrong name of Hardy's wife and a photograph purporting to be of Billy was not actually of him. This has been replaced by a picture of Billy plus wife and child. Thanks to daughter Margaret Hardy for her help.
28th November 2012 - Amended caption on a photograph on the Clock Face Colliery page which wrongly identified it as a water pump when it was in fact an engine used to ventilate shafts. Thanks to David Fisher of Bolton Steam Museum for the clarification.
24th November 2012 - Added Bold Colliery Photo-Album 3 which contains 31 photographs that were taken by Cliff Payne about 1955-56 when he was working at the pit as a draughtsman. This was at a time when a large-scale investment in the colliery had just been completed and Bold Power Station had just come online. Cliff's photographs are an important record of this time with many taken underground.
14th November 2012 - Added new page Bold Colliery & Bold Power Station Part 2 by dividing the existing page into two parts with Part 1 from 1875 to 1955 and the second part extending to 1991. The new Part 2 contains two photographs from the forthcoming Cliff Payne Collection Photo-album with one image a remarkable aerial view of the newly-modernised pit with high-resolution versions. New information has also been added on Bold Power Station with a photograph contributed by Peter Carmichael of a serious turbine explosion about 1960. Other photos have been added to the first Bold Colliery & Bold Power Station photo-album. Also updated Industry in Sutton Part 1 page with an image of the letterhead used by the locomotive manufacturer E. Borrows & Sons of St.Helens Junction which contains a remarkable illustration of their Providence Works - contributed by Dave Woods.
8th November 2012 - Updated Sutton Crime Part 3 with twenty new mini-articles that cover curious crime and court cases within Sutton and Bold in brief. The article titles include 'The Dancing Undercover Bobbies', 'Sutton Bug Scam', 'Flooded Firelight Man', 'Busted Bookies' and 'A Fowl Deed'. Also updated Leisure & Entertainment article 'Rise of the Excursionist' with two comical picture postcards posted in 1920 from St.Helens to Blackpool! - One satirises overcrowding in St.Helens.
4th November 2012 - Updated Sutton Manor Colliery Part 1 page with details of a 1916 inquiry into the Sutton Manor Colliery Co.'s application to construct a new railway line. Also added some details of the miners who went to fight in the Great War, including a photo of Pte. Joseph Halsall who was killed at Gallipoli. Also added much more information on the effects of the 1926 lock out / strike with a picture of miners' agent Joe Tinker who addressed Manor miners at various meetings. The miners' conflicts with the police and so-called 'blacklegs' are also discussed. Also updated Sutton Celebrations! page with a photo of a fancy dress party from the 1940s contributed by Paul Thomas at an uncertain Sutton location. Also updated Can You Help? page with a request from Ann Kelly, née Cowley, who is attempting to locate her cousin Patricia Brown.
29th October 2012 - Updated Industry in Sutton article 'Chemical and Alkali Works' with information and five illustrations on the horrors of working in the St.Helens chemical factories. These were published in an 1896 article in Pearson's Magazine entitled 'The White Slaves of England'. Also updated the 'Glassmaking in Sutton' section of the industry page with images of Francis Dixon-Nuttall and a Nuttall's glass jar lid added, plus more details of the bottlemaking firm's history. Also updated Sutton at War Part 2 (War Notes & Photos) page with a picture postcard sent by many wives to their soldier husbands during WW1 entitled 'My Love from St Helens', plus eight more Great War-related mini-articles concerning recruitment, deserters, court cases, a soldier's letter from the front etc.
7th October 2012 - Updated Making of Dream page with three photos contributed by Gary Conley. One features participants in the Dream Walk of Hope and another ladies from the WI who had knitted a Dream scarf plus a mini version for Gary. The third picture is of Alex Riley with Gary Conley after an interview about Dream for a One Show report on BBC1. Also updated Sutton Celebrations! page with a photo of a VE Day party in the Sutton Oak Welsh Chapel in 1945 contributed by Paul Thomas. Also updated the Sutton Pubs page with a photo from 1956 of landlord and landlady Tom and Emily Fairclough behind the bar of the Victoria Vaults. The picture has been contributed by Edna Smith.
30th September 2012 - Updated Sutton Tragedy Part 2 article 'When The Dead Went To The Pub!  Coroners Inquests in Old Sutton with a photograph of Sir Samuel Brighouse. He was coroner for SW Lancashire for 55 years from 1884, conducting almost all the Sutton inquests. Contributed by Lionel Taylor, Practice Manager, Brighouse Wolff, Solicitors, Ormskirk. Also added some more details to the article.
26th September 2012 - Updated Industry in Sutton article on Glassmaking with two photographs of an old Cannington Shaw jar lid that was probably used to store sweets or pharmaceutical supplies. Contributed by 8-years-old Alfie Atkins and Eleanor Atkins who found it in 2012 while treasure hunting in the River Kenwyn in Coosevean woods in Truro, Cornwall. Also updated Religion in Sutton Part 3 page with a photograph of the former Welsh Baptist chapel in Robins Lane. This is on the corner of Garnet Street and is presently used as the offices of a care company. Plus pictures of two stones dated 1906 that are on one side of the building and named after Dr. Henry Baker Bates and Charles Walsh.
25th September 2012 - Updated Sherdley Park page with a photograph of mist settling on the park which was taken early in the morning on September 22nd 2012. Also updated Sutton at War Part 2 (War Notes and Photos) page with a short article on Petty Officer John Fairclough of Sutton who died in 1943 onboard submarine HMS P-615 when it was torpedoed by a German U-Boat. Also updated the Memories of Sutton Part 17 page with an extension to the article 'My Penlake Memories' by Marie. Two additional paragraphs have been added in which Marie describes shopping in Junction Lane and a time when she was knocked down by a bike while playing outside Penlake House.
11th September 2012 - Updated Can You Help? page with an appeal by Brenda Winstanley (née Fairclough) for information on her ancestors in the Crooks / Pusill family, especially illiterate Sarah Ellen Pusill / Nixon who emigrated to the USA and made a fortune. Also updated Education Photo Album with four St. Aidan's Clock Face class photographs contributed by James Prescott / Jimmy Connelly.
5th September 2012 - Updated Memories of Sutton Part 17 with new article 'My Penlake Memories' by Marie. A former resident of Penlake House during the early 1950s, Marie relates her childhood memories including steam trains, hens, roly poly puddings, Dr Leslie and childhood freedom.
5th September 2012 - Added Bold Colliery & Bold Power Station Photo Album #2 which contains thirty photographs that were taken by Terry Almond in 1983. Thanks to Terry for contributing them.
29th July 2012 - Updated Bold Colliery page with three photographs and more details. Two of the pictures which show the pit headgear and colliery offices were taken by Dave Almond in the summer of 1983. The third photograph was taken around 1980 and shows the colliery with 16 ton coal wagons in the foreground. Also updated Making of Dream page with two images contributed by John Bond. One is a rare photograph of the inside of the sculpture and the other is a sketch from 2011 which John made when workmen were erecting fencing around Dream. Also updated Leisure & Entertainment page with part of a poster for the Sutton Oak British Legion from 1953. A link has been provided to view / download both sides of the poster which has been contributed by Margaret Crosbie.
24th July 2012 - Added new page Religion in Sutton Part 3 which is devoted to chapels in Sutton. These include the Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Sutton Oak Welsh Chapel and Independent Methodist church. Although much of the information was previously in the Religion in Sutton Part 1 page, the article on Billy Hardy has been greatly expanded with three more photographs. Hardy was the son of a Boilermaker's landlord who started drinking daily from the age of 5 and became a wife-beating drunkard. After Billy's conversion to a preacher, he founded the Emmanuel mission in Helena Road and preached at Madison Square Gardens. Thanks to Marlene Forde for her assistance.
8th July 2012 - Updated Sutton Tragedy Part 2 with new article 'The Sutton National School Storm - A Story of Tragedy and Heroism'. This relates how in 1881 a savage storm struck St.Helens which led to loss of life in Sutton and the awarding of the Albert medal for bravery to schoolteacher Hannah Rosbotham.
21st June 2012 - Added new page Industry in Sutton Part 2 - The Story of Sutton Mill, a water and steam-powered corn mill that was operated for many years by the Lamb family and which give its name to Mill Lane, Mill Brow, the Millhouse pub and the Sutton Mill Dam nature park.
8th June 2012 - Updated Sutton Celebrations! page with four photographs of the St.Helens Show taken by Jim Lamb. The Sherdley Park pictures feature an elephant and a parachutist plus equestrian and dog trials. Also updated Sutton Trivia & True Facts! page with a new 'in brief' section featuring five short stories about John Brown who ate himself to death, a nightingale in Clock Face, a true tale of toad in the hole, Suttons post and a fed-up Leonard Street landlord.
5th June 2012 - Updated Education in Sutton page with a Sutton National School class photo c. 1953/4 contributed by Marion Roughley with some identification of pupils. Please get in touch if you can name any other pupils. Also updated Bold Colliery page with details of a court case in 1892 when Richard Clare appeared in St.Helens Police Court accused of getting into the cage at the bottom of no. 2 shaft when the full complement of 12 men had been reached. Also added recollections from (William) Ted Lyon who worked at Bold during the 1950s. Ted describes receiving greasings from women workers in the screens department and the health problems that he has since endured from working underground. Also updated Sutton Sport page with a photograph of St. Aidan's of Clock Face football team of 1951 with identification of most of the players - contributed by James Prescott.
28th May 2012 - Updated Sutton Shops page with a new article entitled 'Sutton Shopkeepers and Strikes', which discusses the impact of industrial disputes upon retailers. It includes a detailed description of how in 1893 a miner threw a stone that weighed 57lb through a clogger's shop in Worsley Brow.
27th May 2012 - Updated Mining in Sutton page with details of the impact of the 1893 strike, especially in the Sutton Heath district. Also updated Making of Dream page with a photo of a visitor counter which records the numbers of people visiting the Sutton Manor site.
8th May 2012 - Added new page Memories of Sutton Part 17 with two Clock Face / Sutton Manor-related articles: 'My Dad Jack Smith' by Frank Smith and 'Lancashire Miners Gala Queen 1964/65' by Pat Beesley. Jack Smith worked at Clock Face Colliery for over 50 years and Pat Beesley was only a schoolgirl when she became the Sutton Manor Colliery Gala Queen.
6th May 2012 - Updated History of Sutton Sport with a photograph from the 1950s of the tennis team of the Sutton Cricket & Tennis Club. The photograph has been contributed by Ted Heward who has also identified most of the players. Please get in touch if you can identify the remaining team members.
20th April 2012 - Updated Sutton Beauty & Heritage Home page with a new slideshow 'Best of Sutton' featuring 20 personal favourite photographs of the Sutton district that I've taken over the past five years.
6th May 2012 - Updated Sutton Sport page with a photograph from the 1950s of the tennis team of the Sutton Cricket & Tennis Club. The photograph has been contributed by Ted Heward who has also identified most of the players. Please get in touch if you can identify the remaining team members.
13th April 2012 - Updated Sutton Manor Colliery Part 2 page with a photograph of the house and garden of mineworker Albert Rigby who lived in an NCB house in Ditton and often won their garden competitions.
9th April 2012 - Updated Sutton at War Part 3 - The Poison Gas Works page with much new information sourced from documents (some marked 'Secret') obtained from the National Archives. Included are details of remarkable experiments carried out on personnel at Sutton Oak Chemical Defence Research Establishment to determine their sensitivity to applications of mustard gas solutions. Plus how after WW2, the plant focused on the development of deadly nerve gases including sarin.
6th April 2012 - Updated Sutton Manor Colliery Part 1 page with an NCB Wagon label for a consignment of coal to Liverpool Docks dated September 28th 1955. Also added details of the death of Henry Jackson of Jubilee Cottages in Clock Face in 1909, plus more details of the industrial dispute of 1950. Also updated Can You Help? page with a response by Arthur Jennion to Patrick Smith's puzzler as to the identity of a man pictured speaking at an event in Sutton during the 1960s. Is it Bert Trautmann?
31st March 2012 - Updated The Making of Dream page with a Big Art St.Helens video, courtesy of Vimeo. This is a 36 minutes long compilation from the Channel 4 TV series which charts the creation of Jaume Plensa's sculpture in Sutton Manor. Also added to the bottom of the page a photo of Dream taken in January 2012 bathed in early morning sun. Also updated Religion in Sutton Part 1 page with a photo of the plaque dedicated to William Pilkington and his wife. New details have been added to various sections of the page, including a newly 'discovered' United Methodist chapel in Marshalls Cross.
24th March 2012 - Updated Industry in Sutton page with much more information and images on the rise and fall of Glassmaking in Sutton. The casting room of the Ravenhead plate glass works was at one time the largest under one roof in England, bigger even than Westminster Hall. Sutton Glass Works was also of mammoth proportions covering 210 acres including five reservoirs that were capable of holding 18 million gallons of water. Also updated Sutton Crime Part 3 page with eight new 'Sutton & Bold Crime In Brief' stories, which makes a total of 52 short articles on unusual crimes and court cases.
15th March 2012 - Updated Sutton Trivia & True Facts! page with two new articles: 'Dubious Medicines & Sutton Testimonials' and 'Royal & Noble Visits to Ravenhead'. The former describes how individuals from Clock Face and Sutton Oak provided references in newspapers for medications. The latter details visits to the plate glass works by the Prince of Wales (later George IV), the Duke of Wellington, Princess Alexandra, the Queen of the Netherlands and the New Zealand Prime Minister.
13th March 2012 - Updated Sutton's Halls & Houses page with an article on Ravenhead House which dates backs to the 1770s and was once advertised as a "capital and commodious mansion". Also updated Education in Sutton article on Sutton Library with details of the £3000 donation by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie which enabled the library to relocate to what became known as Carnegie Crescent.
3rd March 2012 - Added new page Sutton Shops & Businesses which contains information, photographs and advertisements on shops and small businesses within the Sutton and Bold district.
25th February 2012 - Updated Sutton Crime Part 2 with new article 'Red Tape in Old Sutton' which describes pedantic prosecutions against Sutton business owners who were in breach of regulations. It includes the so-called 'Connolly's' lottery tickets and a curious prosecution against the landlord of the Golden Cross.

19th February 2012 - Updated Brickfields Woodland page with a new slideshow of 12 images plus information about work that's currently being undertaken on the site. Also updated Religion in Sutton Part 1 page with details and a photograph of the extension made to St.Nicholas Church during the early 1990s which caused a dispute with St.Helens Council.
15th February 2012 - Updated Sutton Crime Part 2 with new article 'The Brutal Murder of Walter Davies' which details how the pawnshop assistant - who is buried in Sutton Parish Churchyard - was murdered in Atherton and how his convicted killer pleaded his innocence until the moment of his execution nine months later. Also created Sutton Crime Part 3 page with 42 Sutton crime and court case 'in brief' articles. All but one of these 'bite-size' crime reports have been relocated from Sutton Crime Part 2.
8th February 2012 - Updated Sutton Manor Woodland page with two pictures of roe deer on the former colliery site photographed and contributed by Rob Dillon. Also updated the Sutton Manor Colliery Part 2 page with two images and information on the electrification of the number 1 shaft's steam winder which took place in 1986. Thanks to Gary Conley and Mel Moran for their assistance.
7th February 2012 - Added Sutton Manor Colliery Photo-Album #6 with 38 pictures that detail the electrification in 1986 of Number 1 winder and shaft from steam. These are believed to have been taken by the site engineer who worked for the engineering consultancy in charge of the project. Also added three images to Sutton Manor Colliery Photo-Album #1 and removed a photograph with caption 'Another early view of Sutton Manor Colliery pictured about 1915 - 20' from Sutton Manor Colliery Part 1. This is after doubts were expressed as to the pit actually being Sutton Manor. Thanks to Keith Clark for his assistance.
30th January 2012 - Updated Sutton Manor Woodland page with a large photograph of one of the remarkable heritage art trail structures. These have just been installed on the site and were designed by Sutton Manor Primary schoolchildren working with artist Bernadette Hughes and writer Collette Hughes. Also updated Pudding Bag page with a quote from John Perry who from 1942 lived in Penlake House in Penlake Lane and used to know most of the people in Woodcock Street and Railway Terrace.
21st January 2012 - Updated Religion in Sutton Part 1 page with more information on the history of the Independent Methodist Church in Herbert Street, now known as Sutton Village Church. Also added a photograph of the reopening of the chapel in 1910, contributed by John Dolan.
14th January 2012 - Updated Can You Help? page with a request from Donna La Rue for information on her ancestors Howard and May Taylor and Ruth Barrow. Also updated The Making of Dream page with an mp3 of the song Dream by Deirdra. Christopher Barras and Deirdra Graal's evocative tribute to Jaume Plensa's stunning sculpture not only captures the ethos of Dream, it also pays tribute to the miners who worked at Sutton Manor Colliery.
2nd January 2012 - Updated Dr. Baker Bates page with four new images contributed by Merrick Baker-Bates a) certificate awarded to Henry in 1890 by the University of Liverpool; b) portrait of Edith Bates; c) 'thank you' card sent to those who expressed sympathy after Edith's death; d) photo of Henry at the bedside of his second wife Alice. Also the mayoral portrait of Henry has been replaced by a better version. Also updated Bold Colliery page with a photograph taken on May 25th 1980 by Barrie Watkins which shows the original five cooling towers at Bold Power Station.
Sutton Beauty & Heritage is written and researched by Stephen R. Wainwright ©MMXIV   Contact Me
Visit Sutton Beauty & Heritage on Google Plus
Visit Sutton Beauty & Heritage on Facebook