An Illustrated History of Old Sutton in St.Helens
Part 80 (of 92 parts) - Downloads
Sutton Beauty & Heritage Downloads
Researched and Written by Stephen Wainwright ©MMXVII
This page features a collection of files which can be freely downloaded. All are believed to be in the public domain. Do contact me if you think otherwise. Click a title to download.
This document of 36,000 words is a compilation of articles published every Sunday on the Sutton Beauty & Heritage Facebook page during 2016. Discover what was happening in St.Helens a century ago – the crimes, tragedies, court cases, events and way of life.
This document of 28,000 words is a compilation of articles published every Sunday on the Sutton Beauty & Heritage Facebook page from January to June 2017, which has been written and researched by Stephen Wainwright.
19 page souvenir brochure detailing the celebrations at St. Anne's in October 1963 concerning the Beatification of Blessed Dominic Barberi whose mortal remains are in a shrine at the church.
Frank was born in 1910 at 64 Edgeworth Street and in his 169-page memoir, vividly brings to life the people and places of pre-war Sutton. Thanks to Simon Speight for his assistance.
A 116-page publication which the late author described as: "Being a series of recollections and stories from the old pits of St.Helens and the surrounding areas, with particular reference to Collins Green and Bold Collieries and the role of the Bamber family". Thanks to Simon Speight for his assistance.
Transcriptions of two articles published in the St.Helens Newspaper in 1941 on Sutton nurses - Helen Sheridan, Rose Moffat and Margaret Lowery - who were killed by a German bomb at Salford Royal Hospital.
Lieutenant Harold Emblem of New Street's diary of the final 17 weeks of his time in France. Harold was shot dead on April 23rd 1918 whilst attempting to seize ground from the enemy.
Useful for researchers who want to find out when certain streets were first referenced within census documents.
This document lists all of the streets contained within the East Sutton and West Sutton wards within the 1901 census.
This document lists all of the streets contained within the East Sutton and West Sutton wards within the 1911 census.
Listing two months of health walks which includes a number in Sutton and Bold
Useful for those planning to visiting the graveyard at St. Nicholas Church - thanks to Jim Lamb
An article titled 'Local Traditions and Legends VIII St. Anne's Well' published in the St.Helens Leader newspaper c.1877
John Spear report on fever and sanitary conditions within the borough of St.Helens which was published in 1885.
A six page comic account by the former head of St. Anne’s RC Boys’ School of the annual play known as ‘The Operetta’ that used to be performed by the infants' school.
Sutton Manor Colliery four page magazine from February 1990 in which the manager reports record breaking production
Sutton Manor Colliery four page magazine from December 1990 in which the manager reports on the state of the mine
John’s nine page biography with photos of his grandfather Frank, who had a lengthy career with the Wigan Coal & Iron Company, going on to reach its highest level and in 1910 became manager of Clock Face Colliery.
This 12-page souvenir brochure produced for the 1976 open day describes the history of the coal mine and its operations.
Published in 1956 by the Training Branch of the NCB, Mine Gases is a 25-page booklet issued to St.Helens students at Mining Training Schools. Sections include historical development, flame safety lamp, examining a lamp, testing for firedamp and firedamp detectors.
The 8-page prospectus for academic year 1960 - 61 features details of the mining courses available including mining electrical, mining mechanical engineering, training of deputies and shotfirers etc. Details of staff are also listed.